Defending Your Custody Agreement: Protecting Your Education Choices

Defending Your Custody Agreement: Protecting Your Education Choices

Need More Child Support? Two Tips to Help You Get an Increase

by Daryl Young

Caring for the financial needs of a child can be quite costly. There are many expenses that accompany each phase of a child's life, and as a parent, you likely want to make sure that you're able to provide your child with the necessities of life. However, if you're a single parent receiving child support, you may find that the amount you're getting from the other parent of your child is not sufficient to care for their needs. Use this information to learn more about what you can do to get more child support from your child's non-custodial parent.

Be Able to Prove That Circumstances Have Changed

The first thing you want to do when you need more child support is have documents that support a significant change in circumstances. To get an increase in child support, you'll likely need to go to court, and having this documentation is vital if you want to substantiate your claim.

For example, your child may be entering a school where they are required to purchase certain uniforms or pay certain fees for activities. Make copies of any form that your child's school sends out so that you can start a file. When you go to court, be sure to show how the current amount of child support you're getting just isn't enough to cover the new expenses, meaning that you'll need more help.

It's important to have proof because many courts want to see that your request for an increase is indeed valid. Arriving with your documents shows that you are serious about making sure that your child gets the financial help that they require.

Get a Verbal Agreement in Writing

If you're on good terms with the non-custodial parent of your child, the two of you may reach an agreement after having a simple talk. However, no matter which arrangement you come up with, it's vital that you capture the agreement in writing.

You want to have your child-support agreement in writing because verbal arrangements may not be enforceable in court. If the non-custodial parent changes their mind about the verbal arrangement that you made, you'll have the written proof you need to file for a court hearing to have the child-support order officially increased.

An increase in child support may be the only way for you to meet the financial requirements needed to care for your offspring. When more child support becomes necessary, use these tips right away so you can get additional financial assistance as soon as possible.

For more information, see a professional like Craig H. Lane, PC


About Me

Defending Your Custody Agreement: Protecting Your Education Choices

When my ex-husband decided to contest my choice to homeschool our children, I knew that I had to defend my right as the custodial parent. Our custody agreement gave me authority over educational decisions, but he still took me to court. I spent a lot of time working with an attorney to find out how best to handle it, and I did a lot of research on the laws as they applied. If you're trying to defend your educational choices amidst your divorce, this site may help. I've built it to share everything I learned and explain the process that I went through to secure my rights.